Swords in Art - Modern Samurai, Musketeer and Knight
doesn’t look like much but it took FOREVER
im obsessed with this show ok bye
all characters pictured (c) gentleman’s guide to love and murder
art meme: spring and winter in paris
“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” ― Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast
Dear Phantom marketing team,
Check back with me in 24 hours and let me know how that worked out for you.
What are some “must listens” for Elisabeth fans?
mainly inspired by ilikeunderstudiesandethanfreeman on the Les Mis post and I’m like “Elisabeth needs an equal voice as well, so I might as well post my personal choices, haha”.
- The 1992 Original Vienna Cast
- The 1999 Original Dutch Cast
- The 2001 Essen Cast
- The 2002 Tenth Anniversary Concert Cast
- The 2001 TOHO Cast with Yamaguchi Yuichiro
- The 2004 TOHO Orange Cast with Yamaguchi Yuichiro
- The 2005 Complete Vienna Cast Live
- Any/ALL the Japanese Takarazuka Casts (except the 1996/97 Star Troupe cast with Asaji Saki if you don’t like her voice, but the supporting cast has really gorgeous voices and the 2009 Moon Troupe Revival Cast, but Nagina Rumi’s such a strong Elisabeth but the cast is uneven and not my favorite IMO, though Ryuu Masaki tries really hard as Lucheni and I really like Masaki.)
- The 1992 Original Vienna Cast Pro-shot Rehearsal. Mainly because the cast is in top form, even if it is a rehearsal.
- The Thomas Borchert der Tod highlights. He’s good in the role, despite how short the video is.
- Pia Douwes’ final performance in Vienna (April 17, 1994).
- The Vienna 1998 pro-shot with Maya Hakvoort, Felix Martin and Thomas Borchert. Felix is an amazing der Tod IMO. Keep an eye on the kiss of death at the end!
- 1999 Original Dutch Cast pro-shot. Stronger cast, Pia has insane chemistry with Stanley Burleson.
- The October 21, 2002 Tenth Anniversary concert bootleg. Great to see all the cast from various productions around the world.
- The January 13, 2002 original Essen cast video (Pia Douwes’ final performance). Lovely video, lovely cast.
- Any and I mean ANY videos with Jesper Tydén as der Tod. Two so far only surfaced (one with Mirjam Zipf and the other with Pia Douwes)
- The 2004 Hungarian cast pro-shot. I loved Kata Janza and Szilveszter P. Szabo in the roles of Elisabeth and der Tod respectfully. The staging is a bit weird to stomach at first, but it’ll grow to you. The Hungarians just rock in general.
- The 2005 Vienna revival proshot
- The September 30, 2005 bootleg of the TOHO cast with Ichiro Maki and Uchino Masaaki. Crazy chemistry with the two cast.
- any videos of Annemieke Van Dam as Elisabeth is worth watching.
- Almost any of the Japanese Takarazuka casts (and definitely get the 1996/97 Star Troupe with Asaji Saki, because she’s so beautiful and her acting is brilliant. One of the most heartbreaking and human portrayals of der Tod I’ve ever seen, despite singing the role in a lower contralto range than the other Takarazuka der Tods. Skip the 2009 Moon Troupe revival, only if you want to see a solid Elisabeth in the form of Nagina Rumi, but definitely an uneven cast).
- The 1992 original Vienna cast rehearsal soundboard.
- The 1999 Dutch Cast first preview (October 19, 1999). Has “Eljen” before it was cut for this and future Stage Entertainment productions (Essen and Stuttgart respectfully)
- March 25, 2001 original Essen cast audio
- any Jesper!der Tod audios
- any Kristin Hölck as Elisabeth in Essen, especially the March 17, 2003 audio with Martin Pasching as der Tod. Kristin is underrated as Elisabeth IMO, and needs more attention.
- the 2001 Essen audio with Addo Kruizinga as der Tod
- the June 29, 2003 Essen final performance audio with Maike Boerdam and Uwe. It’s labeled as a soundboard, but it’s not.
- any audios of the various Hungarian casts over the years.
- The original Vienna revival cast (October 1, 2003), mainly to hear Jesper and Mate’s awesome “Die Schatten werden länger”, but the rest of the cast is stronger here.
- Wietske van Tongeren’s first performance as Elisabeth in the Vienna revival (November 8, 2004).
- any audios with Oliver Arno as der Tod, either in the Berlin tour or the Vienna revival.
- any audios with Felix Martin as der Tod, especially in the Berlin tour
- Pia Douwes’ final performance in the Berlin Tour with Uwe as der Tod (July 6, 2008)
- any audios with Annemieke Van Dam in either the Stuttgart production, the Berlin tour or the Vienna revival.
- any audios of the TOHO Japanese production with either Sena Jun, Asami Hikaru, Suzukaze Mayo or Haruno Sumire. Depends on the der Tod though. Ishimaru Kanji and Mate Kamaras gives out great performances IMO. Takeda Shinji takes a little while to get used to.
And that’s all. You’re welcome to reblog this and add your own personal opinions/favorite audio and videos.
Skull of a Skeleton with Burning Cigarette by Vincent Van Gogh, 1886.
Rob Guest and Marina Prior
From 1990 Melbourne brochure with Rob Guest, Marina Prior and Dale Burridge. Production photographs by Michael Le Poer Trench and Tracey Schramm.
Scanned and edited by Elo
Lucy Liu & Idris Elba at HBO’s Emmys After Party (Aug 25)
Myu section in the Sailor Moon Crystal First Visual Art Book. Go to Wild Mushroom Land to see the entire book.
BTW thanks to mizunocaitlin from Wild Mushroom Land for always sharing all of her Sailor Moon (especially the Myu related) stuff.
tanz der vampire: a musical where the girl doesn’t love the boy, the protagonist dies, the bad guys win, and the show closes with a song about drinking blood and devouring souls while the audience cheers on